Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Paris: the challenge

In a month I go to Paris with the family for two weeks. Home exchange: our house in L.A. for a nice Parisian family's apartment a block from the cafe in which the opening scene of Celine's Journey To The End Of The Night takes place. I decided on that instead of hiking in New Zealand or kayaking in Mexico because I wanted to combine family fun with being in one place and getting a big schwack of work done on my book during the break from my duties on the series. (And it doesn't hurt that with the home exchange and buying the tickets with miles the trip is waaaaay cheaper than something more exotic.) So the question is: am I an idiot? Shouldn't I have not taken a trip at all and just stayed home? Will I really be able to get anything done while my daughter is saying hey dad let's go check out the Rodin museum and my son is saying hey dad there's an organ recital at St. Eustache and my wife is saying hey honey come sketching with me at the Louvre? Will I? Or will I once again put off the real work? Is there a 12 step program for compulsive travelers? For procrastinating novelists?

1 comment:

  1. I'll be doing the same, except by my lonesome: Paris mid-December, apartment exchange, writing. Good luck!

    (P.S. Found you through Ward Six.)

    ReplyDelete